Saturday, July 25, 2015

Day one...

For the weekend at Marc Adams School of Woodworking, I have 14 students making keepsake jewelry boxes from white oak and textured basswood. Today we cut sides to size with miters and made  bases and drawer fronts. We applied our first coats of milk paint. Tomorrow we have a very long list of details, including dowels installed in the corners, making drawers, and installation of hinges.

So, in two very busy days we will have made 14 great boxes and the students will have gained skills to last a lifetime.

I want to publicly thank blog reader and box making student David Kings for having brought me a Petoskey stone. He reminded me that they are all over Lake Michigan, and while my own search for Petoskey stones was more effective in the gifts stores of Petoskey than on the beaches of Petoskey State Park, there is no better stone than one received as a gift from a friend.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment