Thursday, April 16, 2009

closing in on the silverfish of doom

As you can see from the photos, we are nearing completion of putting strips on the hull. This afternoon we will apply the last few strips and then remove it from the forms so we can see inside. If we had a lot more time and if I were a great deal clearer in giving instruction and able to work with fewer kids at a time, and if this weren't my first boat building experience since I was the age of my students, we would be doing a better job of it. But we are having fun and the kids will be pleased to see if it floats. Hence the name, Silverfish of Doom. My first boat sank.

Update... this afternoon we finished the strips and removed the boat from the support that held the ribs in position as the strips were nailed on. Now it has a shape, a size and an internal volume and is starting to seem like a real boat.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! It's really coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If "The Silverfish of Doom" will hold a couple of Boy Scouts and a BB gun, and it looks like it will, I just might induct it into the U*U Jihad Navy. . . ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know it will hold them, we just don't know if it will float.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well my comment was made in the presumption that it would float of course. I suppose if it came down to it we might consider converting it into one of our submarines though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so, that I guess would mean two BB guns and Boy Scouts with snorkels?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just one BB gun as mentioned. In fact the BB gun might be rather impractical in a submarine. Maybe a spear-gun instead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:33 AM

    Nice work! I have no fear that The Silverfish of Doom will sink.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete