Tuesday, April 14, 2009

tables and css woodshop


Today in the CSS wood shop, the 3rd and 4th grade students made rockets as you can see in the photo above. They started with drawings last week and explained to me what they needed in preparation for today... nosecones and nozzles. So I turned those on the lathe prior to class.

The 1st and 2nd grade students continued work on their wooden Kangaroos, which they will finish next week.

This afternoon, I have been finishing my contemporary rustic tables, using modern walnut table bases to support rough edged, spalted fiddleback maple planks. Some would think the wood beautiful, some perhaps not. Some might find the unfinished textures offensive, but in my view, wood is nearly always beautiful and interesting, and making things from it can make it even more so.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I've been reading and enjoying your blogs (W.O.H. & Saw Zen), for quite a while now, and I look forward to each post. I think that your view is refreshing and honest.

    I have to say that the new table is beautiful, thank you for sharing.

    And thanks again for such great writing.

    Randy J. Arnold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy, thanks for your kind words about my writing and thanks for reading. It means a lot to know that what I write is read and enjoyed. I'm glad you like the tables. I think the objects in our lives should connect us with the things we care about, and this table does that for me. And who knows, someone will buy it and keep me going.

    ReplyDelete