Sunday, April 12, 2009

assembly of new tables

When assembling a table made using round tenons, you have to be very careful to check that it is flat and square, so I am using a carpenter's square to check. Rectangular tenons go together one way and one way only, but round ones can fit together at many very wrong angles, so checking and rechecking is a must. When the glue is set, however on the parts in this design, they have a great deal of strength and each glued tenon reinforces the positioning of the rest. I do my gluing on a flat surface to make very certain that the table will rest evenly, with each leg touching the ground. This table and one similar to it will be ready for applying finish and attaching the top tomorrow and will be ready for delivery to a gallery later in the week.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:08 PM

    Wait! I can't see the square. I can figure out what you're saying, but the square is too well hidden.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. The square is laid on the work bench, and along the leg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:18 PM

    I just had a "Duh" moment. Now I see it.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete