Saturday, April 25, 2009

the real Cinderella story

We all know parts of the story. We've seen it on TV, and in a minute, I'll tell the part you may have missed. First, I had a question from a reader concerning what I mean when I've said in the blog that "I'm competing with the Chinese." In clarification, no disrespect is meant. I have profound respect for the people of the world who are makers. It is not easy and I feel a sense of alignment with them. The comment is intended to point out the rarity of the craftsman in today's culture. It is a special privilege, and I am deeply honored when some choose to support me in my work.

Today I am making another table from spalted maple and walnut, and this is an exercise in gauging my efficiency, to help in setting a selling price. I think this will be a successful product that I will try to sell through a few select galleries. Each will be unique, because the wood is unique. But there will be similarities enough that I can make them at a profit.

And now, you all remember Cinderella, the wicked step-mother and ugly step-sisters, and you may recall in the Disney version, Cinderella singing joyously in the garden and kitchen as she served her unappreciative and demanding family. The simple untold story is that that is what happens when you are aligned with the universe. Neurohormones triggered by engagement in creative activities brings forth a sense of joy. That joy is noticed by others. It may make them jealous.

You noticed that in the Cinderella story, there were magical things happening with fairy god-mothers, pumpkins, mice and the like. We often use magical beings as a means through which to explain inexplicable phenomenon. The most important part of the Cinderella story is not something that is told, but it is something you can discover for yourself. This isn't just something I'm making up. Check out Kelly Lambert's theory of "effort driven rewards," and you will find that joy arises from the simple tasks we might be twisted toward believing are beneath our dignity. While the step-mother and step-sisters were poisoned by self-importance, Cinderella worked with her hands and expressed joy.

Make, garden, sew. Compete (in a friendly fashion) with the Chinese. You will discover joy.
You will notice that an ugly step-sister of a maple board can turn beautiful with sanding and some Danish oil. Makes me want to whistle while I work. Oh, wait a minute... that was another Disney movie, wasn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment