Thursday, October 02, 2008

This morning I've awakened early, the result of adjusting to 8 hours time difference between Helsinki and Arkansas. I have a very long list of things that require my attention. But I m also transitioning from the conference and my opportunity to focus intensity on the hands.

During the night, I had restless dreams that I could find no elements of connection between concepts and events... that I was moving between things that were intellectually disconnected and abstract. This extended dream sequence illustrates the importance in the human intellectual framework between the concrete and abstract. It is concrete experience that builds the capacity for journeys deeper into our own intellectual landscapes.

One of the things I've noticed is that powerful tools can carry you to a point at which you are intellectually disconnected from the original intent of your endeavor. For instance, if you want to plant a garden of flowers and bulbs, a backhoe will be the wrong tool, quick and powerful but insensitive to delicate roots. Even if you are in perfect control of its bucket, huge tires and pads will inflict lasting damage to the surrounding area. It is the same way with behavioral statistics. They will give you a powerful overview of education, but not serve so well in meeting the teacher's need for educational discernment in the classroom.

Today, as I pull my own jangled disconnections of consciousness back into place, the simple tools will do the job. A sharp knife pulled with skill along an edge will do wonders for the disconnected thoughts that haunt the travel weary soul.

I get back to school today and I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment