Saturday, October 11, 2008


Some of my oldest friends in Eureka Springs would be amused by this photo showing a dry toilet similar to some I made years ago for friends committed to water conservation and protection of the environment.

Helsinki is built on a series of rock islands with insufficient soil for waste water filtration. They became leaders very early in the environmental movement to protect groundwater.

My first pay as a writer came when I got a check for $50.00 from Mother Earth News for information about the use of sawdust for neutralizing odor and for composting human waste. So, it would be very natural that I might be one of very few at the Helsinki City Museum interested in this important part of their history. There are other tourists sites that get lots more attention.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:25 PM

    Getting to the bottom of things, I see...

    ReplyDelete