Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I love mistakes... not at the moment I make them, but later when I've figured out how to fix them. I can get mad at myself just like anyone, but only until I've reminded myself of how wonderful mistakes can be for learning new things.

I am busy getting ready for work on the DVD Friday and one of the things that happened when I glued up a stool last week was that all the rungs didn't get pushed into the tenons all the way. That left the stool out of square. You get to a point that you may be willing to risk the whole thing... go for broke. So that's what I did this afternoon. I clamped the stool on top of the table saw and raised the blade until it cut through the rung at an acute angle. You will see from the photos what I've done.



After spreading Gorilla glue on the sawn surfaces, I tape the parts of the rung together at the new length. It won't be perfect, but it is great to take chances and learn something new every day. This technique is based on the age old technique used for repairing chair rungs that I demonstrated much earlier in the blog.

If I am lucky it will be good enough so that you and I will be the only ones to know it happened. If I am very lucky, I'll never have to use this trick again.

No comments:

Post a Comment