Sunday, May 03, 2009

things have a way of working out...

Today at Books in Bloom, I sold a few books, not many. As I said yesterday, people generally buy books for entertainment and distraction and except for those with very special interests, avoid books that demand something from them, like growth or skill. I was the last speaker of the day, and either fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on perspective, I had no one left in the audience, and managed to skate off with some clean-up and hauling. Those duties come with the territory of being married to the librarian co-director of the event. This all means that those of you who read the post below are the only ones who have the opportunity to benefit from what ever insight I was intended to impart. Depending on your perspective, that is either fortunate or not.

Selling books that require deeper commitment on the part of the reader is a challenge in a general audience, but I did have a couple customers who knew my work from woodworking catalogs and Fine Woodworking magazine and were pleased to find me.

Just in case you wonder if I was really there, and not just making things up like so many writers, I've posted a photo below.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:45 AM

    Wish I could have been there. You throw a good party in Eureka Springs.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete