Saturday, April 07, 2007

I am in the Days Inn at 94th and Broadway, and I won't post a photo of the place. It is clean and close to Columbia University. This is one of those trips to New York where I won't visit my favorite places. I'll mention them and provide pictures. The first is Saint John the Divine Cathedral. It has been under construction for over 100 years. Construction has been delayed for some time as they recover from a disastrous fire. I hope that at some point stone carvers are set to work again towards its completion. Another project associated with St. John the Divine is a Textiles Conservation Laboratory in which textiles from around the world are restored. The important thing to consider is that those given the opportunity to engage in great works of hand and heart are lifted by their involvement to the heights of human value.

The two photos below are works from another New York City favorite place, the Cloisters.

You don't have to be associated with a particular religious faith to treasure the great works created for religious purpose. It is impossible for me as a craftsman to look at these works without seeing the dedication of attention of their makers to higher purpose and growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment