Saturday, January 17, 2009

waiting on cornbread.

This morning, I am attending the blog and waiting on cornbread to come from the oven. I have about 15 more minutes to wait. I had a choice this morning whether to make cornbread from scratch or from the already packaged and measured corn meal mix. And I chose the mix for convenience and we had it on hand. When you have lots of specific ingredients to add, it is easy for something to go wrong, and I remember my earliest days of cooking. I would come home from school and stir up a package of Jiffy cornbread mix, and put it in the oven for a snack. It helped me to develop a love for cooking and confidence in the kitchen.

Now, think of Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences as a recipe for success in the education. There are 8 essential ingredients as described in yesterday's post. Most of these ingredients are unfamiliar to most university trained educators. Eight ingredients is a lot to measure. If certain ingredients are left out, the whole batch of kids isn't ruined, but kids here and there that don't fit the more prevalent learning styles end up dropping out. 30%. Others who may make it to graduation, may never have their full intellectual potential stimulated and awakened by their participation in school.

Think of woodshop as a Jiffy cornbread mix of education. It has all the essential ingredients in a package. Add egg and milk. I can smell cornbread in the kitchen. Have a perfect day.

3 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with a mix ... now, you did bake it in a cast-iron skillet, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to say, my daughter went camping and not having a hammer, she used the cast iron skillet to drive in tent stakes. That put a crack in it. So, I have a cast iron skillet on the shopping list. Sadly this cornbread was made in a square baking pan. The cast iron skillet, for those who don't know about such things gets preheated in the oven and greased before the batter is added. Then when it comes out of the oven, the texture of the bottom is perfect. Are you related to the Lizard people in the Minnesota Senatorial election?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, no relation. :)

    ReplyDelete