Thursday, January 01, 2009

A Happy New Year, and give ourselves a hand!

We think of genius as something that happens in the head, not the heart or hand, but this morning I've been thinking how wonderful it is to start a new year, and looking through an old cookbook by Molly Katzen. The Enchanted Broccoli Forest is one of several that she's written and a classic... not just for the recipes inside, but also for the hand lettering and illustration. I wonder, "Did she really do all that herself?" "Yes," my wife the librarian assures me.

How often do we see anymore, published things that required so much attention of hand and heart?

Happy New Year to my few, but dedicated readers. We deserve a hand for forbearance. We deserve a hand for courage as we face whatever comes along the pike. And we deserve a hand for the hands we offer in service to others and growth within ourselves. I plan to spend the weekend getting acquainted with the Kitchen Aid, so I'll bake bread. (hence the Katzen!) We will be visiting my Mom, so I will be traveling with tool kit to fix whatever needs my hands.

May your coming year be one of hand and heart. Together they will make the head feel much better.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:18 PM

    Thanks to you Doug. May you have a excellent New Year and may your projects be numerous and your hands continue to nurture your head and heart. Speaking of bread. A book I got is; Build Your Own Earth Oven, A Low-Cost Wood-Fired Mud Oven; Simple Sourdough Bread; Perfect Loaves by Kiko Denzer and Hannah Field . Building and using your own handbuilt outdoor bread oven. Then I can use my shop scrap for fuel.

    P.S. Loyal because this is an inspiring place to visit.

    Scrapwood Bob

    ReplyDelete