Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pestalozzi


"I wish always to let sense-impressions come before the word, and definite knowledge before judgment. I desire to make the effect of words and talk on the mind of little account, and to secure that dominating influence proper to the actual impressions of physical objects, which forms such a notable protection against mere babble and empty talk. I wish to lead my child, from his earliest development, into the whole circle of nature which surrounds him; I would organize his learning to talk by a collection of nature's products..."

I have been reading a book available on Google Books by Henry Holman called Pestalozzi. Pestalozzi's premise as quoted above was that all abstract learning should be based on concrete experience from the real world and the objects it contains. Words, themselves are abstract representations of concrete objects and experiences. Pestalozzi believed that to express oneself deeply and fully in language was an important goal of education, but he was very clear in his judgment, which should come first.

No comments:

Post a Comment