Thursday, August 30, 2012

fact check...

Listening to the barrage of television advertisements in which candidates hurl insults at each other to distort each other's records and motives, makes me wonder which side of reality these folks woke up on. There is a divide... those who are hands-on engaged in reality and those who are not.

When politicians start to spew, it is best these days to ignore and go about one's business making things and learning from the real world. One Fox News writer's response to Paul Ryan's speech at the Republican Convention was not good. Sally Kohn summarized Ryan's address  in three words, Dazzling, Deceiving, and Distracting. With regards to words, particularly when spoken by those attempting to lead others, the writing of William Carlos Williams ought to serve as a warning:
It is dangerous to leave written that which is badly written. A chance word, upon paper, may destroy the world. Watch carefully and erase, while the power is still yours, I say to myself, for all that is put down, once it escapes, may rot its way into a thousand minds, the corn become a black smut, and all libraries, of necessity, be burned to the ground as a consequence.

— William Carlos Williams
The same could be said of speech in public places.

On the other hand, there is little danger in making things that express your own yearning for growth as a craftsman. There is an essential honesty in real work, for both the materials and maker are transformed. Would that we were more a world of makers than of words, or that making might transform and temper words that they might bear truth.

Make, fix and create...

4 comments:

  1. While I appreciate the sentiment, I don't feel that it stands up to direct juxtaposition. While there's truth in honest craftsmanship, t don't feel any lasting pride about those instances where I've let bullshit stand as I buried my head in my own personal enrichment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I can understand without more of an exacting example. Of course craftmen like any other kind of human being can get carried away and off the mark. Usually, when one does, the materials and circumstances will test back and restore one to a sense of humility.

    It's not the same for politicos. They can go real far off the deep end, even to the point of pushing a whole nation's economy to ruins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in bit of a pissy mood last night, (Republican convention speech related) and can now see that I misinterpreted your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is best to keep a safe distance from irrationality. A bit of time in the wood shop can actually fix things. I usually listen to the radio in the shop, but these days I've preferred silence to silliance.

    ReplyDelete