Wednesday, August 15, 2012

day three of box making...

Texturing a wooden box
We are in our third day of box making at Marc Adams School of Woodworking, and every workbench shows creativity. I have little to say. I began working on a letter box with hand cut dovetails as a demonstration for those students who may be interested. Today we made wooden hinges, and I used one of my demonstration boxes to teach how to install hinges using a flipping story stick. Then I began reshaping that box to make it more interesting, and to illustrate that even a teacher must continue exploring and testing new designs and techniques.

As those of my regular readers will know, most of this blog can be summarized by what is said at the top of the page.  We learn best, most thoroughly and to greatest lasting effect when we learn hands-on. My students this week require no explanation. We are hands-on learners and learn most easily when we observe what is happening in our own hands, directly controlled in our own thoughts and measured by our own standards. Don't we wish American education could be like that?


Demonstrating installation of hinges.

Explaining the use of a crosscut sled
Make, fix and create...

1 comment:

  1. Good job my fellow friends. I know it was not that easy making boxes out of wood. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete