Tuesday, November 16, 2010

today at CSS wood shop

Today in the Clear Spring School wood shop, the 7th, 8th and 9th grade students began work on the lathe to make wood candle stick holders. I have given them a very specific shape to work towards, that of the classic candle stick shape made famous by American turner, Rude Osolnik. It is amazing that such a simple shape could be so challenging to attain. You have to first overcome all your internal willingness to accept whatever happens in the effort to control wood and tool. The skirmish  for attention is the first challenge, for when the mind wanders for a moment, the battle is lost.

Wyatt told me that beginning to turn on the lathe was nearly the best fun he'd ever had in school.

Examples of Rude's candle stick holders are shown at left.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:07 AM

    Having turned only one thing in my life, I wish my school back in those days had a wood shop like yours.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete