Thursday, December 27, 2007



A friend of mine rescued this walnut rocker from the attic of his brother's home in New Orleans just before it was torn down due to flood damage from Katrina. I usually avoid furniture repairs, preferring to make new, but I learned this simple technique from finishing pro Bob Flexner when I was teaching at Marc Adams School. I had to try it, and it gave me an excuse to save something from New Orleans that would otherwise have gone in the dump. To repair the broken back leg, plane wood to the same thickness as the chair leg. Then plane the broken leg down to provide a flat gluing surface and glue the replacement wood in position. After the glue sets, I will reshape the back leg to match the other side and drill it for the dowels from the rocker to fit. The end of the year is a good time to finish old projects, clearing the deck for the new. And my friend from New Orleans will be pleased to have saved a family heirloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment