Wednesday, September 04, 2013

rhythm stick...

Today was my first day back at the school wood shop, and it as a pleasure being back with the kids. Due to my travels and week at the SWEPCO hearing in Little Rock, a case in which I was to be called as a witness, my wood shop classes were not to begin until next week, but when I walked on campus and received so many hugs and so many questions about when woodworking would begin, I knew that I needed to get the kids' hands on wood ASAP.

Our school music teacher is planning to work with the kids on percussion and had asked me if we could make some simple rhythm sticks using wood and bottle caps. Of course we could. Our pre-school/kindergarten teacher Ms. Charla, already had a box of bottle caps gathered and ready to be flattened and drilled.

The project is simple. It requires a piece of white pine cut into a 3/4 in. square stick. Cut that into 3 seven inch pieces and then cut one more piece only one inch long. One long piece forms the handle, two pieces form the sides and the short piece forms the end. The opening houses the bottle caps. Drill pilot holes for nails and drill additional nail holes for holding the bottle caps. Flatten the bottle caps and drill a hole in each with the drill press. We use pliers to hold the bottle caps to keep them from spinning around the drill.

My 7th, 8th and 9th grade students also began making rhythm sticks this afternoon. They love any project in wood shop and also decided that they want to begin collecting and trading bottle caps.

Make, fix and create...


3 comments:

  1. Being back in the shop with the kids was good for you too.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly was...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that the Swepco business haven't been able to drain all your energy.

    I just remembered the song:
    Hit me with your rhythm stick, hit me slowly hit me quick.

    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete