Sunday, December 20, 2015

tiny tiner...

I spent most of the day yesterday cleaning in the wood shop, building a scrap rack to organize waste wood for burning in the wood stove, and hauling logs from the woods with my tractor. Some of the logs are for firewood, and the others will be milled into lumber. I took just a few minutes for therapy, finishing tiny tiner I had started during the photography of my Tiny Boxes Book. These Scandinavian inspired bentwood boxes have lift lids. Further sanding, and application of finish will make them complete.

I am amazed at how much scrap wood has accumulated since the last time I so thorough cleaned shop. If the amount of scrap is any indication of my production, I have been a busy man. The sawdust bin in my shop is also full and I'll empty its contents today and compost it to build the soil in the forest around the house.

I am reading Matthew Crawford's new book, The World Beyond Your Head. My local librarians ordered a copy when I told them that I was quoted in it, and when I went to pick it up, I learned that they had photocopied the last two pages of the book to keep at the desk and share with other library patrons.  I seem to be a very minor local celebrity.

The first chapter of The World Beyond Your Head enters the subject of attention and how our powers of attention have been eroded in part by our digital devices but also surrendered to those who would manipulate us toward their ends. Attention(when it is manipulated by others) is the way through which individuality and personal creativity are lost. In that regard, I seem to be one of the very few on the planet not totally immersed in the Star Wars phenomenon.  Even presidential candidate Hillary Clinton finished her closing remarks with "may the force be with you." Clever but dumb in my humble opinion. As a craftsman when the first Star Wars episode first came out, I had plenty already going on in my own life, and regarded the over the top exuberance of my peers as a warning of sorts.

Developing the powers of attention is not specifically targeted as a value in schooling. Our industrialized economy is dependent on industry's ability to coerce attention toward the acquisition of devices and objects that we do not need, and that simply further complicate our lives in ways that serve their interests.

In any case, we are down to the wire now for ordering things from my Etsy store if you want them to arrive in time for Christmas. Orders placed by Monday for US delivery will likely arrive before Christmas Eve.

Make, fix, create, and extend to others the opportunity to learn likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment