Thursday, December 24, 2015

taking advantage of a holiday season...

I have been busy playing in the wood shop by finishing projects I'd started and failed to complete. For instance, the tiny tiner shown above are now lidded, sanded, finished and ready to sell. I now have over 30 larger boxes that have veneered panels in the lids, and that are ready now to have miter key slots cut and contrasting keys glued in place. I can just keep whittling away each day. And while I'm not sure what to do with all this work, there is pleasure in it.

One of my students from Marc Adam's School of Woodworking sent photos of some recent work. The class he took was intended to help students take their box making to the next level. During class Rich worked on boxes for wine bottles, and you can see that he has certainly achieved high levels of design and craftsmanship. The boxes he made were to give as gifts, so I think you can see how he made best use of the holiday season as an excuse to refine his own skills.
Wine box by Rich Herbert
  

I showed photos of my box guitars to editors, and one is interested in a book about making them. It would be a short book, featuring only 6 instruments and show variations in how they can be made. It also promises to be a book that will only take a few months of my time to produce, but will allow me to be of some further use.

Make, fix, create, and assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment