Sunday, October 12, 2014

chapter 2

Yesterday and today I've been working on chapter 2 of my book on Making Froebel's Gifts. As you can see, I have been working on sketchup illustrations of the box and shapes that came to symbolize Froebel's life and contributions to education.

In the actual sketchup illustration (not the image above), the various components can be taken apart and measured. The apparatus on the box at right allows for the three shapes to be suspended on strings and spun to alter their appearance. Is anyone impressed by my having made a sphere in sketchup? I also have an order for 120 inlaid boxes, that must be done before Dec. 1. So I will balance my time between the two and teaching.

On another subject, I have been getting inquiries from readers about the frame clamps shown on the cover of my new book.Taunton press had sent out this photo with an email that has brought more inquiries, with readers wondering, "where can I find those?"

The red ones are available in limited supply from Van-Ton Machine in Kansas City, 913-909-2793

Lee Valley has similar clamps available HERE.
The Lee Valley clamps are easier to use as they move into approximate position more quickly.  Both are recommended for box makers.

Make, fix and create...

1 comment:

  1. I have the clamps from Lee Valley and love them. The one problem is that the "speed nuts" can fall off the end of the threaded rod at exactly the wrong moment.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete