Wednesday, October 22, 2014

the dangers of inventiveness and creativity

Turn a cylinder to a spherical form
Inventiveness comes from being engaged in problem solving which then in turn requires being involved in the real world. Yesterday, I wanted to demonstrate the use of Froebel's second gift to my fellow teachers at Clear Spring School, so I made a quick stand from wood and dowels to support a cylinder of wood on a string. It was amazing how easy this object was to make. Seeing it made some of my students want to make them, too. In addition, I had made a box for gift number 4 and the lid moved too easily, and I was concerned that it would simply fall out. So I drilled a hole in it, inserted a dowel in that hole, and made cuts to allow for the dowel pin to only travel so far in each direction. Now I have a new design for sliding lid boxes.

A dowel controls the travel of a sliding lid
But I also have a more serious problem. I have to get back to selling my work. Relentless making and inventing requires relentless efforts to reduce inventory. And yet, there is a greater danger... that children fail to learn their own creative powers.

Yesterday was also a good day in that we printed our first lego™ that was shown in yesterday's post. There is no worry there about selling excess inventory. The 3-D printer is a relatively ineffective way to manufacture large quantities of work. But is making our own legos™ a way to get kids learning to use design software, and to follow instructions with a degree of accuracy? You bet.

Make, fix and create...


No comments:

Post a Comment