Monday, October 28, 2013

Japanese handsaws...

Years ago when I got my first dozuki saw, I was thrilled with the quality of its cut. I was also somewhat dismayed that its teeth were fragile. After a time, it was missing a few teeth in important places, and I had read that a Japanese carpenter could take the saw down to a flat blade and start over with the filing and setting of new teeth. Not having a clue as to the high level of expertise required, I tried it with files that I ordered from a mail order tool company. I did a hack job of it. Besides, as I learned later, the Japanese hand saws supplied to the American woodworking market were hardened steel and not suitable for resharpening in the first place.  That explained why so many teeth had broken off during its use.

Douglas Brooks wrote an excellent article in the last issue of Wooden Boat (234) that goes deeply into the subject of Japanese hand saws, some of which are specially designed for the making of wooden boats. He explains that a high quality Japanese saw made with softer steel that can be resharpened and reset may sell for $500.00 or more. Needless to say, the saws we use at Clear Spring School and the dozuki saws in my shop are not of that quality.

In any case, Brooks' article is a must read for anyone fascinated as I am about the use of tools of any kind.

Today in the Clear Spring School wood shop our upper elementary school students will be working on wooden habitat for their new gerbils. The high school students will be working on their cahones.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment