Saturday, January 02, 2010

repeating myself

I realize that as my wife recently pointed out to me, I repeat myself a lot in the blog. I cover the same points again and again. This really is not rocket science. So I could take a break from it and do other things for a time. But I will persist. It's practice, and perhaps in time what I say will sink in or be noticed. For centuries we have observed children as they play and learn and yet ignored what we know about them in the design of their education.

Maximilien Robespierre, one of the best-known and most influential figures of the French Revolution was instrumental in the period of the Revolution commonly known as the Reign of Terror, which ended with his arrest and execution in 1794. The following was proposed by Robespierre before the National Assembly in France in 1793, proving that even the most cruel and evil people from the past were more sensitive to the needs of children than are some today:
Public education, besides giving strength and health, must instill the duty of the habit of work, because this is to all both a necessity and an advantage. I do not refer to a thorough knowledge of any particular kind of work, but rather to that energy, that activity, that industriousness and that perseverance to the end which characterizes the life of every diligent individual. Educate such men, and the Republic will see its fruits of agriculture and of industry redoubled. Instill in the child this need, this habit of work, and his future existence is secured, as he will then be entirely dependent upon himself. I consider this part of education as the most important, and therefore my plan of general instruction contains manual labor as its vital feature. Of all the sources which are apt to stimulate the average child, none will produce a greater desire for activity than physical work.

By this bill I lay before you, I hope to interest fathers, teachers, and pupils. Fathers because their taxes will be decreased; teachers, because they may hope for honor and recompense in this new field; and children, because the accomplishment of some real, material work will always be to them a source of great delight. I would desire that various kinds of handicraft be introduced.
And so we have the second day of a new year. I will work in my shop today and will spend a bit of time at school getting ready for the return of my woodworking students from their winter break.

5 comments:

  1. "I realize that as my wife recently pointed out to me, I repeat myself a lot in the blog. I cover the same points again and again."

    Well that's not the *only* thing you have in common with The Emerson Avenger Doug. :-)

    As someone who does "hands on" work.

    Just like The Emerson Avenger. . . ;-)

    Surely you understand that sometimes a lot of repetitive work is required to achieve the results that you desire to achieve. I dare say that the *practice* of repetitive work of various kinds can even be something of an "alternative spiritual practice." So keep up the good work.

    Happy New Year!

    Robin Edgar aka The Emerson Avenger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:00 AM

    Well said, Robin. I've been a teacher for long enough to know just how right you are.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for compliment affirming and promoting my free and responsible speaking of the truth Mario.

    I have been "teaching lessons" to hypocritical Unitarian*Universalists for long enough to know how right *I* am too. ;-)

    I certainly encourage Doug to keep on repeating himself in terms of *his* "alternative spiritual practice" not only in the general sense but also specifically in terms of how the interconnected web of the internet works. Doug, if you say pretty much the same thing, but in different ways using different key words in tour blog posts (especially the title which becomes the automatically generated URL of the blog post), more people will visit your excellent web site and read your important message(s) that I do believe people need to hear. It works for the ever so persistent "Mosquito" of the U*U World The Emerson Avenger. :-)

    Come to think of it. . . and this really did only come to mind now as a result of writing this blog post. The U*U Jihad Air Farce will make a point of acquiring a squadron or two of beautifully hand-crafted wooden de Havilland Mosquito fighter-bombers in 2010 to assist The Emerson Avenger in his persistently annoying lesson teaching.

    As they say -

    If U*Us think something small cannot make a difference, try going to sleep with a de Havilland Mosquito in de room. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy!

    Thanks for the indirect inspitration Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspitration *is* a typo.

    Not sure how the 't' got in there.

    Thanks for being a good sport Doug.

    I may be ordering a squadron of brand-spanking new highly cost-effective wood construction Mosquito remakes from you if I can't buy some used ones. That ought to keep you and your students busy with some repetitive woodworking for a while. ;-)

    More seriously. . .

    You *could* consider building a wooden model of a de Havilland Mosquito Fighter Bomber as an educational project. Maybe even one that could be flown as an RC model.

    ReplyDelete