Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Good things come

Good things come to those who show up. I couldn't resist showing this as a work in progress, so blog readers get first glimpse, a preview of what will come in a finished form next week.


For a long time, I've felt that I needed to produce a short video of my kids at work. This is a first draft with the final version to be published next week after the kids have finished their projects. Let me know what you think. I also plan to do a short video of my small children working with knives. No doubt it will terrify some, make some parents have conniption fits. But knives can be safely used with first, second and third graders, and it would be better that they understand the safe use of tools than for us to allow them to be captivated by the dark culture of knives and weaponry that has emerged from television and video game violence.

So, stay tuned or at least come back next week for for the finished video.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:56 PM

    I'll be there! And it truly is better to have kids learn how to respect and use tools when they're young.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:50 PM

    Absolutely mesmerizing! I love how the assessment of error is built into the woodworking itself, leading children to evaluate the effect their actions and decisions have on the outcome, and the end result is tangible and satisfying. Also beautiful is the easy camaraderie between the children as they worked and conversed without feeling oppressed by a teacher at the front of the room. I can't wait to see your little children using a knife! I just taught a 5-yr old how to light a candle using a match, and her self-control amazed me. I imagine 6-yr olds with knives will be a similar venture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will re-edit this one with a conclusion next week. That little thing where Cyrano answered his own question is an interesting illumination.

    ReplyDelete