Sunday, October 04, 2009

design day

Today I have been working on a new design for a customer who wants a table with some shelves to go at the back of a sofa. I often wake up in the middle of the night and visualize such projects when the mind has been in a near sleep state and I sometimes awaken later with a clear view of what is to be made. I think this is actually less spooky than it sounds as most of us are driven as much by the unconscious mind as the rational one. Just look around at how people are in the world if you have any doubts. People's behavior in this summer's town hall meetings reminded me of zombies in the movies. Using the unconscious mind for creative exploration is certainly better than to immerse ourselves in fear based delusions. And many would have had more productive summers if they had arranged for themselves something real and creative to do. Even knifes and whittle sticks would have been better than what I saw on TV.

Readers will notice a similarity to the torii tables I recently finished in that this one is is to be made with exposed mortise and tenon joints. It will have my trademark meander down the middle of the waney edged board forming the top, which will be secured to the base using sliding dovetails. It can be made with more than one shelf if needed.

I downloaded sketchup software but ended up using my old graphics design program. The new tools were just a bit more than I can grasp at a single sit down at that screen. Maybe I'll make more progress another time.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:56 PM

    And here I thought I was just waiting for the board to tell me what it wanted to be! It was my unconscious the whole time.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete