Saturday, July 28, 2007

I am leaving this afternoon for my week-long class with the Diablo Woodworkers. The Diablo Woodworkers set a great example for the role that local woodworkers can play in a renewal of hands-on learning in schools. In preparation for my box making class with Diablo Woodworkers last year, the club adopted a local high school wood shop and did a complete cleaning, and restoration of the facility involving over 1000 hours of volunteer time from club members. My class was the first to use the restored facility with freshly sanded benches, fresh paint, clean, well organized closets and cabinets and sharp tools. When school administrators and school boards see this kind of community support, they get the message!

I will try to post some photos of this year's class as it proceeds through the week. The photo below is from last year's Ygnacio Valley High School Woodshop renovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment