Thursday, July 12, 2007

The photos at left and below are of new box designs I've been working on this week. In designing work, there are a variety of concerns. The first is does it fit the artist's personal mission? Since a large part of my mission has been to awaken the public to the diversity and beauty of our Arkansas hardwoods, through caring craftsmanship, I hope you see where these boxes fit. Of course, the second and third concerns are much harder to test and require time away from the woodshop: is there a demand for the object? Can it be produced and sold at a reasonable profit for the maker? Let me know what you think.


The boxes at left feature my first use of spring loaded slot hinges. While I've used slot hinges for many years on some of my small boxes, the small springs make the hinges feel more secure on larger lids... a benefit that I had not anticipated. If you click on a photo, it will enlarge for a better view.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:00 PM

    Doug:

    Beautiful work, as usual. And the idea of the spring loaded slot hinges is an inspiration. Some box lids do have a sort of "tippy" feeling from the weight of the wood on top.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete