Saturday, August 21, 2021

the mind at work

Esteemed writer and educator Mike Rose passed away a few days ago. He's a person whose writing I admired, as he made clear that the work of labor was not devoid of intellect as so many in the upper echelons of management have wanted us to believe. 

Mike's mother was a waitress and he had marveled at how she kept straight all the various wants and needs of each person at each table in the restaurant where she worked. His writing was to remind us of the dignity and value of work. His seminal book, The Mind at Work has been on my shelves for years and I've referred to him many times in conversation and in my blog, Wisdomofhands.blogspot.com  I thank Mike for his contributions to education and to my own thoughts.

"We are students of words; we are shut up in schools and colleges and recitation room from ten to fifteen years, and come out at the last with a bag of wind, a memory of words, and do not know a thing. We cannot use our hands, or our legs, or eyes, or our arms... In a hundred high schools and colleges, this warfare against common sense still goes on."—Ralph Waldo Emerson

Make, fix and create... 


No comments:

Post a Comment