Tuesday, August 10, 2021

the illusions of class

Harbor Freight Fellows has reposted on of my earlier blog posts here: https://www.harborfreightfellows.org/post/wisdom-of-the-hands-the-illusions-of-class

It remains worth reading as it describes the illusions of class. My class at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking is going well with most students having more than one box in the works.

I learned that Matthew Crawford's blurb will be featured on the cover of the ARC of my new book. His blurb is as follows:

 "For decades now, Doug Stowe has been one of the most humane voices in education. He insists we need those quiet moments when intelligence shines forth in practical activities. He shows that they hold clues to our nature that normally lie beneath the notice of our obsessive schooling and credentialing, but are indispensable to a good life."

This evening I had dinner at school with a friend Kim Brand who is working to put woodworking and maker spaces in Indiana Schools.

I learned this evening that a review of my Guide to Woodworking with Kids is in Fine Woodworking's current issue along with an ad promoting sales. I want to thank Joe Youcha of the Building Small Boats Alliance for his review which I'm hoping to see soon.

The photo is of my students' descriptions of the boxes they want to make.

Make, fix and create,


No comments:

Post a Comment