Sunday, August 08, 2021

Purpose and meaning

A podcast episode of the Hidden Brain explores "purpose" and the profound effects that cultivating a sense of purpose has on our own lives while providing an avenue through which we may affect others. 

The podcast can be found here: https://hiddenbrain.org

The podcast is worth listening to as we seek greater meaning in our own lives. Some folks are led to a sense of purpose by the example presented to them by others. Some are pushed by unique and often tragic events that make their paths forward certain and clear. Some cultivate their own sense of purpose in a more gradual manner as they begin to assemble pieces from their own experience.

An example of finding purpose from the example of others is the way my wife Jean in her role as a public librarian has inspired a number of young folks to study library science and to become librarians. An example of someone thrust forward by tragic circumstances is my friend Paul Leopoulis, founder of the Thea Foundation http://theafoundation.org that supports the arts in schools here in Arkansas. Paul and his wife built the foundation in response to the tragic death of their daughter Thea who had a promising future in the arts.

I am more an example of the third path. Being told at an early age that my brains were in my hands, I began testing the idea and wondering if the same beneficial potential of the hands and brain working in partnership would not be equally true for all.

Today I'm traveling to Indiana to teach at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking. I'm masked up in an N-95 that makes me look like a duck, but safe in my travels.

Make, fix and create... assist others in learning likewise

No comments:

Post a Comment