Monday, April 19, 2010

today at CSS

Today in the CSS woodshop we had a visit from John Roberts, head of the Covenant Christian School in St. Louis. Our 4th, 5th and 6th grade students are prepared for their travels in south Arkansas, and today we made a couple things like they would have made for themselves and their families over 100 years ago. Button toys and thread winders. The thread winders are from Gustaf Larsson's book, Elementary Sloyd and Whittling.

Covenant Christian School is adding a woodshop, and so you can see that the idea of hands-on learning is gaining ground.

1 comment:

  1. Although I think I have made a button toy or two--and if I can make one, then it takes no talent to make one, if it is what I see pictured--I never thought of this as education.

    However, I bet there has never been a student born who would not enjoy a "button toy making" education!

    Thanks for the laugh. Now, I must run outside to see I get to see that hands on toy NASA made, the Space Shuttle. If it lands at the Cape, it is suppose to fly over my city in a few minutes. Otherwise, I will be staring into the sky, looking like someone who belongs in the looney bin. Understand the tiles on the Shuttle have to be put on by hand!

    ReplyDelete