Tuesday, October 17, 2017

viking chest...

The Viking chest prototype is ready for a bottom to be fitted and for hardware to be adapted to fit. Bob Patrick left the hardware un-quenched so that it will be malleable and can be bent to the curvature of the lid. He also left the hole drilling for me so that I can choose where to put the hand forged nails he made to hold the hardware in place. In next summer's ESSA class, students will make the chest and hardware in the wood and metals shops.

Today I plan a quiet day in the wood shop.

Make, fix, create, and assist others in learning lifewise.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Doug

    Nice looking chest
    It is a lot smaller than I had imagined. The blog post with pictures of the hardware didn't really give any clues to the size, so I had expected the hardware to be far more stout and rough. But this picture shows that the hardware is a lot more delicate and elegant than I my first impression led to believe.
    I think that the idea for the class is really good, with each participant trying out his/her hands on both materials.

    Brgds
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete