Tuesday, August 15, 2017

catching up on production.

Yesterday I got an order from Appalachian Spring Galleries in Washington, DC and on Thursday I have a meeting with the regional craft buyer at Crystal Bridges Museum.

Those things set me in motion, checking inventory and beginning to mill stock for a fresh production run of boxes. My box making has been put on the back burner all summer as I've been teaching, working on the ESSA wood studios, and writing articles for Woodcraft and Fine Woodworking.

The first steps in making boxes is to mill stock to thickness and width. The steps are as follows:
  • Rip rough lumber to about 1/4 in. over desired width.
  • Resaw the rough width stock into thinner strips, roughly 3/16 in. over final dimension.
  • Plane resawn stock to finished thickness.
  • Square one edge of planed stock.
  • Rip stock to intended width.
Meetings at Clear Spring School for the beginning of the school year are also underway.

This afternoon I'll pick up a fresh supply of walnut lumber to make into boxes.

Make, fix, create, and increase the likelihood that others learn likewise.


No comments:

Post a Comment