Thursday, May 02, 2013

sensitive hands...

I am in Phoenix for a few days to visit my sister who is having health problems. This morning I went with her to visit her acupuncturist. I was intrigued as he placed his needles in her skin. I watched closely as he first looked for the spot of placement on one of her meridians, and then used his fingers   to ascertain its exact position before sticking the needle under the skin.

I asked him to explain what he was feeling for. He said that there are slight depressions in the exact spot, that are not visible to the naked eye. I asked how a person trains to attain such sensitivity. He said that if you put a hair under a page of a phone book and feel for it, you can begin your training. Then turn another page over the hair and see if you can feel it. By the time you can feel it under 10 or 11 pages, you will have the necessary sensitivity to feel the body's meridians that appear to the touch as a slight dimple or depression. That's a trick I'll have to try myself.

He explained that some students of acupuncture are better at developing finger sensitivity than others.

I was reminded that the hands are instruments for both sensing and creating and that healing hands must do both.

On another subject not so far removed from the hands, I have an editorial in this week's Eureka Springs Independent newspaper. Disruptive landlines. It describes the danger of Utility corporations like SWEPCO getting out of touch with the needs of consumers.

Make, fix and create...

2 comments:

  1. That image of finding a hair under a piece of paper is a revelation. What a woodworker does isn't quite at that level, but not so far off. And good for you for speaking out on that power line!

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not yet tried it. Perhaps rice paper would be better than phone book paper, and this information may have been a bit of hyperbole.The power line is teaching me some rather profound things. It couldn't have come at a better time.

    ReplyDelete