Thursday, July 18, 2019

Making a cremains box.

A few years back I published an article on the Fine Woodworking website about making a box for the crematory remains of a loved one. https://www.finewoodworking.com/2012/05/09/making-a-crematory-urn-box-part-i

This comes to mind with the loss of my sister Sue to cancer, and one of the things I have planned is to build a box for her cremains as I've done for other members of my family and community.

It is an important thing to turns one's grief into action. Building something from wood is often a process of growth and renewal. It most often involves acts of forgiveness for oneself, as mistakes are inevitable. And the lessons one learns are not the lessons that can be measured in a standardized test, but through the realities of life.

The photo comes from an earlier blog post on the moral implications of craftsmanship. https://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com/2010/04/moral-implications-of-craftsmanship.html

Make, fix and create.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:23 AM

    My condolences for your sister.
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete