Tuesday, July 23, 2024

important overlooked consequences

There are important and overlooked consequences of making beautiful and useful things. One of course is that we save money over the cost of buying things. Another is that by investing our time in such pursuits, we're not out shopping for useless stuff that we could easily live without. A third is that we learn. A fourth is that we develop character. A fifth is that we develop relationships in our own communities, quite unlike and on a deeper plane than those from shopping for useless stuff. A sixth is that by example, we model behavior that is more responsible to the environment, and may inspire others to do as we're learning to do ourselves. I can easily go on, but perhaps this is enough to digest in one day.

By embarking on a craft, you'll learn more.

Any craft will do.

In my shop I'm applying an oil finished to the boxes I sanded last week. I've added a few boxes to my Etsy site: http://dougstowe.etsy.com including this walnut and oak box with a fake drawer. I had mistakenly put the lift tab on the base rather than the lid, and this was my fix. The box is unique and available.

Make, fix and create.


No comments:

Post a Comment