Monday, May 25, 2020

Bench dog holes

I'm building a small workbench from a leftover slab of maple and using dovetailed drawers taken from one of my earlier household projects that was decommissioned. This morning I began drilling dog holes in the top which will allow boards to be clamped in place using the vise.

To be assured the bench dog holes are absolutely vertical, I first drilled through a piece of 2 x 6 lumber using the drill press and I clamp that in place as my guide as I drill into the top of the bench. I plan the hole depth so I can clean up from the other side, rather than having chunks torn out on the underside.

Figuring out how to do such things is part of the fun of being in the shop and embarking on new projects. You'll notice that the new tail vise is already mounted. Drilling the dog holes in the vise had to be done before the positions of the holes in the top could be planned.

Like a blind man walking to work, I do not know what I'll encounter along the way, but trust that I can feel my way through. This technique may be useful to others.

Make, fix, create, and assist others in learning lifewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment