Tuesday, October 01, 2019

more on blocks and more

The new woodshop is coming closer to the finish line. The walls and roof are up,  and the electrician is ready for the building inspector to check out the wiring installation. We may be ready to move in by Thanksgiving.

Today my students will be practicing whittling in advance of their camping trip that begins Wednesday.

The Froebel blocks are continuously rearranged. They were an obstacle course last week, but arriving on campus yesterday morning I discovered them to be arranged as a building or fort. With twice as many blocks available the construction has become more complex. I decided to to play myself by standing a cube on one of its corners. My idea was to invite further exploration beyond current boundaries in their use.

One of my students is building an outdoor classroom on the CSS campus as his community  project to become an eagle scout. You can support his project through his go fund me website. https://www.gofundme.com/dyfdh-steven039s-eagle-scout-project

The initial editing of my woodworking with kids book is nearly ready to go to layout in the next few days. The publication date is now set as May 5, 2020. https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Hands-Guide-Woodworking-Kids/dp/1940611881/

I completed a chapter for a new book of observations on age. Twelve other senior writers and I were invited to contribute and it will be published the spring. I used my simple lessons learned from woodworking to direct readers toward better lives and better preparation for death. We do not yet know the title of that book.

Make, fix, create, and adjust schooling to allow the hands to take the lead.




No comments:

Post a Comment