Monday, September 24, 2018

Today

One week ago today I was in Riga Latvia, and preparing for our return to the US. Now I'm ready for a week's classes. I plan to begin exercises in drafting and design with some of my older students, and the younger ones will be working on "mail boxes" so they can exchange notes and letters.

Before I left for the Baltic, I'd cut a plastic barrel in half to use as ball boxes where soccer balls and basket balls could be put away at the end of play. The two halves, instead of being used for balls, have been incorporated into children's play, as you can see in the photo. 

On Friday I cut the lid from another barrel so that the kids can use it to roll around on the playground. They had a similar barrel before and had demonstrated that they could use it without injury to themselves or others. The barrel had contained soybean oil, so it was easy to scrub the inside clean by adding sawdust then simply sweeping it out. It is remarkable what sawdust can do and what it can be safely used for.

Make, fix, and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment