Monday, July 09, 2018

Box making in Guyana

I received photos from a box maker in Guyana who says he was inspired by my books.

Guyana borders Venezuela, Brazil, and Suriname. Eddie had received copies of two of my books from a friend in the UK and was inspired to to make boxes. I am grateful that I have friends from around the world. There's something about woodworking that brings people together.

The main wood in the box is purple heart, an exotic wood prized by North American wood workers. The darker green wood is likely "greenheart," a wood that is prized as a boat building wood. It is known to explode during milling, so sawyers will lash chains around the portion of the log that's already been cut.

Guyana is the only country in South America where English is the official language.

This morning I begin box making at the Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking.

Make, fix, and create. Encourage others to learn likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment