Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving...

photo by Steven Foster
Today my wife and daughter and I will celebrate Thanksgiving in Wisconsin and then return home to Arkansas to be at the Eureka Springs School of the Arts Fall Arts Fair starting Saturday. We are thankful for the successful completion of Lucy's master's degree and for all the friends she made in Madison. I am thankful for being near completion of my 8th book. I am also thankful I was able to visit Bill Coperthwaite during the summer of 2011. My visit was for no more than an afternoon, and yet, it was a revelation. Bill had purchased a tidal pond with mill race with the intention of having an abundance of electric energy for the rest of his life. What he discovered, however, was the energy of his  own body… energy to last a full and active life up to his passing this week at the age of 83 years. The mill pond has been preserved in trust. Bill discovered that off-grid could be accomplished without the destruction of the environment. He did remarkable things, and his life is one that I count as a blessing in my own. The boat shown in the image above was made by Bill, and is shown in the still waters of Mill Pond, a tidal pool of the Atlantic Ocean. My friend Steven Foster, who had introduced me to Bill in 2003, wrote his eloquent remembrance of Bill posted to Steven Foster's Herbal Blog. Let Bill be remembered in these words of wisdom:
“I want to live in a society where people are intoxicated with the joy of making things.” — William S. Coperthwaite • 1930-2013
I wish all my readers the happiest of Thanksgivings. Many folks will be starting their holiday shopping this morning. But many more will be baking delicious pies, and mashing potatoes and waiting as the turkey is be baked to perfection. If you're worried about yours, Butterball has a hotline, 1-800-Butterball (800-288-8372).

Thanksgiving is one of the most hands-on of American holidays, and my favorite.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment