Thursday, November 28, 2013

Black Friday… no sale...

My wife and daughter and I are headed back to Arkansas following Lucy's successful defense of thesis and our wonderful Thanksgiving feast with my cousin Mary Lou and her husband Michael in Waukesha.

We are facing a long drive in the morning so I can set up on Saturday morning for the Fall Art Fair, where I hope to sell some of my work. I'll be at the Inn of the Ozarks in Eureka Springs on Saturday and Sunday.

In the meantime, folks are camping out in front of department stores to score big deals, and would all be so much better off if they were camped in their basements with tools to make beautiful and useful things. But then that would take skill, imagination like most folks have no more, and a sense of their own creative power. Since we are starting with a late Thanksgiving, folks only have 26 more making days before Christmas. And we would be a far more moral nation if we were each busily engaged in crafting useful beauty to give to each other invested with a craftsman's concerns. The yurt in the photo above with woven sides is one of Bill Coperthwaite's creations built in Oregon in 2009.
“I want to live in a society where people are intoxicated with the joy of making things.” — William S. Coperthwaite • 1930-2013
Bill was intoxicated with the joy of teaching others to make things. And if you can understand that at all, you will know that Bill will be missed. Peter Follansbee has a tribute post to Bill Here.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment