Tuesday, November 12, 2013

get your hands on stuff...

from http://elsieyogakula.wordpress.com/
Don't you just want to get your hands on stuff? Don't you just really want to engage in hands on learning? And yet we've devised schooling in which our most useful implements of  exploration and learning are denied us.

Today I'm preparing for my lecture and class in New York.

In the meantime, there are more mass media findings this week following those of the American Academy of Pediatrics on the amount of screen time spent by kids. Despite a rating system on movies, gun violence in PG-13 movies has tripled since the rating system went into effect in 1984. In fact, researchers found more gun violence in PG-13 movies than in those with an R rating.

Gun Violence in American Movies Is Rising, Study Finds. Should it surprise anyone that kids have fantasies of violence and that gun violence in schools has become a serious problem? What if we had movies in which we witnessed people making things for each other instead of destroying lives?

On another subject, I ran across a video on box making in which the actor claims one of my designs as his own. I would have been OK with me for him to make a video of his interpretation of making my box design if he had at least been honest about it. He might have then personalized it in some way to engage in a dialog with other makers. I am curious how my readers feel about such things. I believe that if you want to use something that belongs to someone else, you ask first, or at least honor your source of inspiration. I have contacted the craftsman and notified him of my concerns. It seems an awkward situation, and I'll be curious to hear his response.

Make, fix and create...

8 comments:

  1. Doug, did this person acquire your design online or via printed material? In reality is does not matter, as it is plagiarism, pure and simple. My only reason for asking is that I find that in this internet world, many believe that whatever they find on the internet belongs to no one, which is, of course, hardly true. I think you are well within your rights to expect, at the very least, acknowledgement that you are the designer of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The design was published in my book Basic Box Making, and also illustrated live in my DVD Basic Box Making. It would have been honorable to credit me as the designer. I've contacted this person by email and through a comment on his youtube page.

    I'm still waiting to see if he's someone who made a mistake and will do the right thing. But trying to get ahead by taking something from others in a public place where the person owning that property is known is not often a productive strategy for success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The honorable thing would be to credit the designer, the author. What an arrogant and devious thing to do.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe Barry5:56 PM

    You should have been credited and it should not be an item that is for sale by the maker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darrell V.2:40 PM

    I actually found the video after a short search. There is no doubt in my mind that the design is yours. It brings to mind other web sites I have browsed and have seen the same design for sale by others. It seems that for some, there is no creativity or honor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The man who copied my design for his internet how-to video contacted me and claimed that he had simply taken the design from google images, and not deliberately taken it from by book or DVD which he was not aware of. I trust that all that is true and he claims that he will amend his video to credit me for my design.

    ReplyDelete