Monday, September 23, 2013

fixing it...


A small repair shop in Manhattan
I'm headed home to day from Phoenix. Randall sent in this link about a renewed interest in repair. It's about time Manhattan was reclaimed by those more sensitive to the future of the planet, and this may be a sign.

 I had a discussion with family yesterday and was reminded that my sisters are all the ones in their families that know how to fix toilets, operate a skill saw, cut, fix repair and all those things. My sisters claimed that it had something to do with my father owning a hardware store, where they'd become quite used to the fact that folks would come in on their own to buy whatever they needed to make repairs. I think it also had to do with my mother's engagement in the arts and my father's encouragement of her every effort.

Most people really don't know what they're missing. We get a a sense satisfaction and accomplishment from having saved old things from making a journey to the dump and knowing them to have come back to life in our own hands.

Make, fix and create...

2 comments:

  1. And then there are the things that were built well and last, like our toaster/oven. My grand mother bought it when I was a sophomore in high school and it still works. It isn't pretty any more, but it has me curious about how long it's going to last.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS And good for your sisters!

    ReplyDelete