Monday, August 29, 2011

Baked Burritos.

Just in case you think the wisdom of the hands is only about woodworking, here's a recipe I've developed that might bring some pleasure to your kitchen. Sorry, I was too hungry to take photos, but on a plate with salad or sides, they are beautiful.

Use the large flour tortillas.
You will also need:

2 T olive oil
1/2 large onion
1 red pepper
1/2 t. cumin
2 T. chopped cilantro
1 pinch of black pepper
One 16 oz. can organic black beans
Brown rice
salt
Monterrey Jack cheese
Salsa
Optional, 1 small Jalapeno pepper

Start cooking 1 cup of brown rice. Cook until the rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed.
While rice is cooking chop onion and red pepper into small pieces
Put olive oil, cumin, onion, red pepper and jalapeno (if desired) in skillet and saute until veggies are soft.
Drain the beans, add them to the skillet and salt lightly. Cook until almost all liquid is gone, and add cilantro.

Preheat the oven to 375 and grate 8 oz. of Monterrey Jack cheese.
Spread olive oil lightly on cooking sheet and assemble the burritos.
Spread cheese, then a layer of rice and then beans.
Close ends of burritos and roll tight so the end is buried underneath.
Sprinkle the tops with remaining cheese and add a bit of salsa on top.

Bake until cheese is melted and tortilla just begins to crisp. 15 to 20 minutes.

For a great side dish, broil or grill thin slices of zucchini marinated in equal parts, tamari, olive oil and lime juice. Or serve with corn.

I hope this recipe is one that you will enjoy.

Make, fix (dinner) and create...



3 comments:

  1. For another take on "Baked Burrito":

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C49GFjv-olE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:13 AM

    Oh, that sounds good. I suspect that your recipe, like those of the great restaurants and home kitchens of the world, developed as the hands found their rhythm and the brain sent the message through the taste buds that it was time to stop making changes.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mario, I was lucky. I hit this one right off the bat. The second time I made it, I thought, "this is so good, I'd better share it with Lucy, and so having written it down for her, I also posted it to the blog.

    I'd had a baked burrito in a restaurant in downtown Madison, and thought to myself, "I could make this." And so I did.

    ReplyDelete