Wednesday, April 13, 2011

turning around America day 4

This was our 4th day of Turning Around America, and our third day of woodturning classes for kids at the Clear Spring School. Beth had an extra day available and did not want to leave without teaching our first, second and third grade students to turn on the lathe. As you can see, what a great day! I want to publicly thank Beth Ireland for a wonderful 4 days. She is a thoughtful teacher, and as I expected, I learned even more than my students. Today I finished my second wood turning tool. And it is such a great pleasure to craft wood with a tool I made myself. Try it.

Beth found that our kids, being used to making things in the wood shop, had creative ideas about their work that many who had not had such experiences before did not. And so it raises the question, "Why in the world don't we give all children the opportunity for woodworking in school?"

Make, fix and create.

No comments:

Post a Comment