Tuesday, April 12, 2011

filtering learning styles and intelligences


Today in the Clear Spring School wood shop, we have another day of Turning Around America lined up as Beth Ireland teaches the 7th, 8th and 9th grade students. Lately, I've been talking about the use of scaffolding to advance children in their learning. Today I've done an illustration of the more nefarious effects of our system of education, that of preventing the advancement of non-academic learning styles. It is a simple thing, not requiring a whole lot of explanation. This has been my third day of woodworking with Beth Ireland, and her second day at Clear Spring School. She is a natural born teacher, and her visit has been inspiring for me as well as for my students. As I expected, I am learning a lot, and today I made a new lathe tool which even my students could make.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:17 PM

    So by the time those "kids" got to my classes in community college, a lot of the wonder and curiosity had been beaten out of them.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once students filtered out of the system where do they go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. To work for lower wages than they would otherwise feel entitled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They could do better if our school system cooperated with their learning styles.

    ReplyDelete