Thursday, July 02, 2009

making a winged heart

Today, I am taking a break from making tables to prepare for my ESSA box making class on July 13. I am also spending a bit of time to make a gift for a friend who is facing extreme difficulties. Sometimes it is very hard for the voice to know how to express what we feel, but skilled hands offer another sincere avenue for expression. Unlike words, which may or may not be believed, or felt sincere, a beautifully crafted object is to be believed and perhaps will be treasured.

Years ago, I had made a small winged heart for my wife, but in this case, I am making an even smaller one that could be carried in a pocket or become part of a piece of jewelry.

Over the next week I'll be away from my shop, but will offer the simple step by step directions on how to make this small object. Being nearly complete, it already has my mind buzzing about other uses in my work... perhaps small decorative elements to be used on boxes? For that reason, I'll also be posting the directions to the Boxmaking101 Blog. In the photo above, the heart and wings have been glued to a piece of curly maple as a backing board. Next, the shape will be cut out to remove the background.

The crescent moon inlay is accomplished using a technique I learned nearly 30 years ago from a wood turner friend, now deceased. This little piece has been on my mind for over a week, and I woke up this morning knowing its time had come, along with a clear idea in my mind as to how it could be done. In the next few days, I will share each simple step with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment