Friday, September 05, 2008


We are starting to have some interesting designs for the bench project. And students are studying the wood grain using gouges and planes. The model below is a walnut bench with a graphic pattern derived from walnut leaves burned in the top.

There is a distinct relationship between the scientific method, and a craftsman's work in wood. As I shared with my students today, you examine the wood, formulate a hypothesis on which direction the grain goes, and which way will offer the least resistance to the work of the plane. Then you test your hypothesis -- by planing. Your complete attention is required and you adapt your hypothesis as you address other areas of the board. I had one new student today who just went through the motions, planing, and planing without attention. I think it was her intention to express boredom, and the process of woodworking won't grab the complete attention of all students. But I have had bored and resistant woodworkers before who have become my most enthusiastic woodworkers, when given time to feel the results, both in the wood and in their own confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment